Your life is not lying in wait in the future like a wild animal or some ominous destiny. Nor is it hidden in the heavens, like a paradise or promise. Nor is it shut up in the cave or the prison of your past. It is here and now; it is what you live and what you do. At the heart of being; at the heart of the present; at the heart of everything – in the great current of life, of reality.
Andre Comte-Sponville

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

*Halloween's Gone Slutty*

When did Halloween costumes get so slutty? Was it always like this? Maybe I'm just noticing it now because I have young daughters. I've seen so many skimpy costumes out there for teens and kids - I don't get it! Is Halloween now just an excuse to dress provocatively? Do I really want my 7 and 10 year old daughters wearing this?

Or this?

Nope, not so much! What else? Oh, did you know witches weren't ugly anymore? Apparently, they are now sexy!? I didn't get that memo! And Little Red Riding Hood is now a slut, too! Gone is her long, red cape - she now wears a corset and short skirt!! My, my, my - what would grandma think??

Well, I imagine, costumes will only get sexier in the years to come, but I hope to teach my girls that Halloween is suppose to be a fun night of trick-or-treating, having fun with friends, and, yes, dressing up, but that the dressing up doesn't have to include wearing these sorts of outfits!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment