Your life is not lying in wait in the future like a wild animal or some ominous destiny. Nor is it hidden in the heavens, like a paradise or promise. Nor is it shut up in the cave or the prison of your past. It is here and now; it is what you live and what you do. At the heart of being; at the heart of the present; at the heart of everything – in the great current of life, of reality.
Andre Comte-Sponville

Thursday, August 18, 2011

**Kids Are People Too**

I have a huge pet peeve - I HATE when people talk down to kids. You know, when they talk to them with disrespect, in a nasty tone.  I, especially, hate when someone does it for no reason - when it's an unsolicited "attack".  And I, really, hate when someone behaves this way with my kids, and it's been an issue, lately, with a couple of people.  I'm not perfect, but I try really hard to treat my kids with respect.  I don't believe it's okay to speak rudely to them just because they're children.  And I'm, certainly, not going to allow others to speak rudely to my girls.  They deserve to be treated with respect, and, so, I told my girls if someone speaks to them with disrespect (a child or an adult) they have every right to stick up for themselves....in a respectful way, of course.  I know many adults do not agree with this way of thinking, but, hey, you can't expect to get respect from children if you don't give it to them.  And, hey, people can do what they want with their own kids, but when it comes to my kids, well, if you can't treat them with kindness and respect, I think, it's just best you don't talk to them.  Problem solved! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment